DUKES OF PIAZZA PONTIDA
The names of our apartments are the first and the actual Dukes of Piazza Pontida.
The Duchy of Piazza Pontida is a cultural association founded in Bergamo in 1924.
The aim of the association is to promote and spread the folklore and traditions of the Bergamo, especially poetry and theater in Bergamo.
The duchy was born in 1924 by a group of enthusiasts traditions Bergamo that orbited around the humorous-satirical weekly Bergamo Giopì (Gioppino). The newspaper, founded in 1894, since 1928 appears with the subtitle Duchy of Piazza Pontida and since 1949 official organ of the Duchy of Piazza Pontida.
Piazza Pontida is one of the oldest squares of lower Bergamo, where several roads converge from those that once were the villages. It can be said to represent the heart of popular Bergamo as opposed to Bergamo “city” represented by high city.
In 1930 he published a major anthology of poetry Bergamo: Poets of the Duchy – Essay anthology Bergamo.
The anti dialect policy of fascism and war imposed the closure of the newspaper and a long pause in the activity of the duchy which resumed only in 1947.
In 1957 by another collection of poems: anthology of poets from Bergamo and in 1965 the Bergamo dialect poets of the twentieth century.
In 2001 was published the Italian-Bergamasco dictioray, which parallels the one published in 1862 by Antonio Tiraboschi, and in 2004 the Bergamasco-Italian dictionary.
The symbol of the Duchy is a five-pointed crown with a ball at the end of three points and two balls dangling. Tradition has it that two balls broke away before the first coronation and were reattached with dangling wire